Rufus R. Smith, Jr.
Born in Birmingham in 1949, Rufus R. Smith, Jr. earned his law degree from the Cumberland School of Law of Samford University in 1974. He served as Special Assistant Attorney General for the State of Alabama from 1977 to 1982.
Among his many professional honors, Rufus Smith has been listed in The Best Lawyers in America for each of the last 15 years, and has maintained an AV® PreeminentTM Peer Review RatingSM by Martindale-Hubbell® for 20 years. This ranking is reserved for lawyers whose peers consider them to have the highest level of professional skill and integrity.
- J.D., Cumberland School of Law of Samford University, 1974
- B.S., Troy State University, 1971
Honors and awards
- The Best Lawyers in America, 1995–Present
- Million Dollar Advocates Forum
- Top Lawyers in Alabama
- Best Lawyers in Alabama
- AV® PreeminentTM Peer Review RatedSM by Martindale-Hubbell® for over 20 years
- Alabama Super Lawyers, 2008–Present
- Phi Alpha Delta
- Who's Who in American Law
- Alabama and U.S. District Court, Middle District of Alabama, 1974
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Fifth Circuit, 1979
- U.S. Supreme Court, 1980
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Eleventh Circuit, 1981
- U.S. District Court, Southern District of Alabama, 1995
- U.S. District Court, Northern District of Alabama, 1996
- Houston County Bar Association
- President, 1994
- Alabama State Bar
- Member, Board of Bar Commissioners
- Alabama Trial Lawyers Association
- Executive Committee, 1982–2001
- Member: Board of Governors, 1980–1982
- Phi Alpha Delta
Contact us today
An accident can wreak havoc on your life. A skilled personal injury attorney can help you regain control and protect your future by attaining a favorable verdict or settlement. At The Law Offices of Rufus R. Smith, Jr. we have spent nearly four decades fighting on behalf of personal injury victims throughout Alabama, Southeast Georgia, and Northwest Florida. If you or a loved one has been injured in an accident caused by someone else's negligence, we can help. Contact us today at 1-888-614-4279 to discuss your case.